Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Have an Ahhhhhhhh Moment


I never thought of myself as a “high maintenance” female. On the other hand, I’ve liked having manicures since I started going weekly on my way home from my low impact aerobics class in New York, a LONG time ago. It was part of my usual Saturday morning ritual and I looked forward to it. The thing about nail salons is that it’s where you interact with other women, walk out feeling great and it doesn’t matter what size you wear, what color your hair, what age you are. You can improve something about yourself with very little effort. I believe it has taken the place of the weekly beauty parlor visit for baby-boomer and younger women.

I don’t get my nails done every week but I go often enough – I’m thinking of a line from a play I saw at Lincoln Center ages ago – The House of Blue Leaves by John Guare, the woman in the story, named Bananas, is mentally ill and she says something like how can she go see the Pope with her nails all chipped! So weird! So New York! Anyway, after moving to Florida I had a period of not having my nails done then I went from one place to another until a friend introduced me to of Soho Nails and Skin Care. I love the place!

Some of you ‘locals' might remember it as Fingers and Toes when Jessica and Julie ran it. When they moved back to Massachusetts to be nearer their family, a fellow named Daniel bought the salon and gave it the name Soho Nails. Daniel and his wife Helen run the salon, have exquisite taste and run a seriously class operation. Every time I walk in I must look around to see what changes Daniel has made since my last visit. You feel like you’re in a spa without the spa prices! They book events at their spa/salon for groups of about 20 women, provide hors d’oeuvres and wine, mahjong tables and tables for cards. Viola! You have an instant girls’ night out!

After several months in business they added an esthetician, Robin Sabo. Robin does a wonderful job with totally natural products. She does power facials for people in a hurry, back treatments during the summer or anytime you want one. She also sells the products she compounds herself.

Been on your feet too long? Get a Chinese foot massage from Abbie. Ahhhhh…..

They are located in the Regency Shopping Strip next to the movie theatre. (That’s the shopping strip where you can find Steinmart and Too Jays.) Their phone number is 772-286-5777. Appointments are recommended.

Much more to come!
Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment