Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Meet Margie Murphy

Margie was sitting by the pool in her complex and chatting with a neighbor about her stained glass classes and the work she'd done. The neighbor was so impressed that she told Margie to call me to see if she could speak at an AAUW luncheon.

Margie called me and I agreed to meet her and see her work. I am so glad I did! First I got to have lunch at a place I'd never tried (despite the fact that it has been in business since before I arrived in FL!) We had lunch at King Neptune in Port Salerno. If you love seafood, this place is for you. I had a delicious conch chowder and Margie had a seafood bisque. Anyway, that's not what this is about...

While we were lunching she pointed out several pieces of stained glass that she had designed and created hanging in King Neptune. Her works range from smaller pieces to pieces as big - no bigger - than she is and she's just a little thing.

So let me tell you a little about Margie. [From her brochure so I get the facts right!] She's been creating stained glass works of art for 35 years. Margie is from upstate New York and served as an apprentice under Stanley Worden, Chief Designer and Executor of Windows for Henry Keck Studios. Mr. Keck worked with Tiffany Studios before starting his own business.

Margie's clients have ranged from churches and businesses to residences in North America and Europe. In 1980 she was commissioned to create fourteen stained glass windows for the Winter Olymics in Lake Placid, NY. She is also a past artist in residence at the Fish House Art Center in Port Salerno.

To see her work, take a trip to Port Salerno, FL and visit King Neptune (as I said earlier, if you like seafood, you'll thank me) and check out the stained glass pieces hanging there. Then, take a walk around the Fish House Art Center; just a short walk toward the water from King Neptune. You won't even have to move your car. Margie created a piece with seahorses in it standing on the bar in the back of the art center.

If you are interested in classes, or custom work, contact Margie by e-mail at: floridadickens@gmail.com or by telephone at: 772-341-5237.

More later...
Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment